Losing weight requires breaking bad habits and starting healthier habits like working out, drinking plenty of water, and decreasing intake of sugary sweets among other things. As important as these habits are, there is one that supersedes all others according to a recent survey of fifty weight loss experts: finding people to share your journey. “Permanent lifestyle changes happen in relationships. New habits happen when people get together and help each other out,” states nutrition and behavior consultant Coach Stevo.
As with weight loss, following Jesus is better together. This isn’t a new insight from the latest research. It’s a time-tested truth right from the ancient words of Scripture. It’s what the author of Hebrews stressed to followers of Jesus who were forsaking regular opportunities to gather together with other Christians.
Hebrews. 10:24-25 And let us consider how to stir up one another to love and good works, not neglecting to meet together, as is the habit of some, but encouraging one another, and all the more as you see the Day drawing near.
Following Jesus is a “team sport” which requires the devotion, encouragement, support, and admonishment from every member so we can grow towards maturity and glorify Christ. The fortunate part is that you don’t have to look too far to find people to share your journey. You already found them at Forks Community Church. If growth in Christ seems to be lagging in your life, the reason might be because the habit of regularly gathering together with other Christians is lacking in your life.
Here are five simple ways you can gather together with other followers of Jesus at Forks Community Church:
- Attend worship regularly. Same place and time every week!
- Join a small group. It’s not too late to join! Sign up here.
- Serve. Explore your opportunities. Email Pastor Tim.
- Eat & Drink. We don’t want to sabotage your weight loss efforts. We do want to see you make meaningful connections with one another at our monthly fellowship. Fellowship is held the last Sunday each month beginning at 10 AM.
- Participate in Men’s Fraternity or Ladies Bible Study. Join the Men’s Fraternity from 8-9:30 AM on Saturday October 13 and 27 in our Quest for Authentic Manhood. Women can learn valuable lessons from fifty-two women of the Bible at Ladies Bible Study which meets every Sunday morning @ 9 AM at our worship location.